'Be who you are and say what you feel because, those who mind don't matter and, those who matter don't mind.' ~Dr. Seuss

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cancer Sucks.

The 3 Day was incredible. MI had a record number of walkers and raised $7.2M!!!
The weather was great, the support was amazing, and the route was beautiful. Day 1 started with opening ceremonies--very touching and emotional, seeing thousands of walkers and crew getting fired up for the journey with the goal of eliminating breast cancer forever. We began at OCC Orchard Ridge campus in Farmington Hills. Our route took us through Farmington Hills, with our destination for camp at Rotary Park in Livonia. Closing Ceremonies were at Henry Ford in Dearborn.
I am very glad that Farm Hills was Day 1 and not Day 2 or 3! I grew up in Sterling Heights, and never saw any Heights. I lived in Pleasant Ridge for a while, and don't recall a single Ridge. Let me tell you, Farmington HILLS is true to its name! HOLY HILLS! :)
Day 2 took us around Livonia and Plymouth--there was a 4 city block long line of supporters cheering us on and thanking us for walking. All along the route there are people that sit on their front porches, in shopping strip malls, or at cheering stations. Many with tears in their eyes, urging us to keep walking and thanking us. It helps! There are also the Dancing Lady, the EMS trucks with the music blaring, and the sweep vans and supporters that drive along the route, honking and cheering. My favorite is the kids--they clap and cheer and high five us, not really aware yet why they are there, but no doubt remembering it forever. This time, Sarah and I made a group of kids giggle hysterically when we high-fived their Webkinz they were holding!

It ends with closing ceremonies--a very emotional ceremony that showcases survivors (while we walkers bend our aching bodies on one knee in a show of respect--many survivors walked along with us those 60 miles, and shower them with pink roses we were given upon finishing the walk), reminds us of why we walk, and gets us fired up for next year!
One of the things that kept me going this year was I saw along the route every day, a woman holding a posterboard sized photograph of a newborn in his mommy's arms. Mommy was kissing the baby. Mommy had lost all of her hair from Chemo. The woman holding the sign had a sign around her neck that said 'This is Me!' She now had a full head of hair, looked totally healthy, and the baby is 7 months old. When I got tired, I thought of her and all the other mommies that don't want to leave their babies. Ever.
Thank you again to all of my supporters. I am crewing it next year, and if you want to join me, lemme know! BTW, my feet aren't as gross as they were last time---so no pics. :( I guess it pays to learn from experience!!!

1 comment:

Terri said...

Amazing journey for you, Mo. I am so proud of you and praise you for your efforts. Your detailed story very eloquently describes the humanity in all of you and others, during this walk. The kids at their young age, may not totally understand what they were witnessing, but they will get the need to do something as they grow and mature.

You are my hero, sis. You are amazing and I am so proud of you!

Thought for the Day

It isn't how you walk in life, but how you walk through life that matters.