'Be who you are and say what you feel because, those who mind don't matter and, those who matter don't mind.' ~Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

All Fired UP--a rant.

Ann Coulter has shown herself to be the pathetic, heartless, insecure bully she is by once again attacking one of the most vulnerable groups of people of society while 'supporting' her choice of President.

For those of you who don't know who Ann Coulter is, google her. I will not waste one second of my time explaining it.  I will, however spend many, many, many seconds of my time explaining why I hate the word 'Retard', especially when it is used to attempt to embarass or denigrate someone.

I am the lucky mom to an incredible kid who is not retarded.  I don't even know what that word means.  I know what it has come to mean in society; someone with intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, cognitive impairments, learning disabilities.  Someone who is processes words and concepts slower than most.  Any person who makes a 'normal' person (of poor character) feel uncomfortable.

My son has Cerebral Palsy, is a wheelchair user, non-verbal, has to fight with his body every minute of every day to try to do the simplest tasks.  He is also the bravest person I know.  He overcomes more in a day than we do in a year, and still loves life.  Some people might look at him, his posture, his drool, his sounds, and his inability to do things like others and think he is 'retarded'.  I ask those people to specify which of those qualities make him 'retarded'.  My answer: none.  not one.

People who use the word 'retard' or 'retarded' are saying that when someone acts stupid, silly, incorrectly, or embarasses themselves, they are acting the same as people with intellectual/physical/cognitive impairments.  I am assuming this is what they mean, from the context they use it.  When I call people out for using that word, they have said to me "I don't mean it like THAT" or 'I don't mean Drew or his friends'.  What, exactly do you mean then?  The English language is filled with amazing adjectives--pick another word.

Don't pick on the easy targets.  The people in our society that need the most assistance.  The people who, through no fault of their own, have additional burdens that none of us could even handle.  We couldn't function in their life for a day, much less a lifetime of discrimination, cruelty, challenges and obstacles.  Certainly not come out smiling and loving life.

I know a lot of amazing people that ignorant, little people in our society consider 'retarded'.  These people are the most loving, hardest working, sweetest, thoughtful people.  They are cheerleaders for everyone they know.  Like when they ask how Drew, Chris and Harley are, every time I see them.  Like when they tell a new member to the crew (I am a job coach) 'Don't be nervous--we will help you'.  Like when they assist eachother with whatever jobs they have, treat eachother like family. How they tell me all the time 'I love my job!' and mean it.
Like this morning, when a crew member said 'I know what your favorite pop is!' making me feel important.  It's the little things in life that they are so much better at than we so-called 'normal' people.

I can't picture any of these people I know tweeting 'I highly approve of Romney’s decision to be kind and gentle to the retard'.  Cuz they have love and acceptance in their hearts, not fear of imperfection that takes on the form of bullying and cowardice.

She is an across-the-board bigot and racist. She brazenly keeps using the R-word, not caring that it hurts those who have disabilities and those of us that are proud to know them.

We need to stop listening to her, buying her books, and indulging in her stupidity. 

End of Rant.  :)

No comments:

Thought for the Day

It isn't how you walk in life, but how you walk through life that matters.