'Be who you are and say what you feel because, those who mind don't matter and, those who matter don't mind.' ~Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bittersweet Symphony of Life

This week is the hardest on me and Chris. Drew's birthday is March 27th. The days leading up to his birth were filled with excitement, wonder, hope, and promise. As I got closer to his due date, 10 years ago, I asked my tummy every day 'do you want today to be your birthday?' We didn't know if our baby was a 'he' or a 'she'. We didn't want to. We believe that God has a plan for all of us; that as long as our baby was healthy, we would be happy. Our family would be happy. We trusted God. Still do.

Drew's birthday is always bittersweet for us. It was the best and worst thing that ever happened to us. Best, cuz we had our beautiful, perfect son. Worst, cuz his birth resulted in such damage to him that his life would be filled with extra challenges, obstacles, difficulties, and disappointments that most others are obilvious to. We are grown, and can handle ANYTHING that life can throw at us. He, on the other hand, is an innocent angel that has to battle not only his body every minute of every day, but society and insurance companies and ignorance and stupidity and close-mindedness and...I could go on and on. The purpose of this blog is to 1)let everyone know how cool Drew is, 2) to urge everyone to see the value in everyone, 3)to educate people that God shows himself in all of us, especially in the 'least' of us. 4) to remind us that everyone needs help--use your gifts to help others when you can.
Boogie (cuz we boogie down...he loves music) is a cool kid who has made more strides in 10 years than most do in a lifetime. Please, when you see kids or adults that are different, just treat them like they (and you)would want to be treated. With basic respect, and with God's grace. I am gonna quote one of my favorite artists, Pink. She seems to have a great understanding of our people. Misfits. Those who don't fit in, for whatever reason. Me. You. All of us, at one time or another. Her lyrics: 'Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel that you're nothing, less than perfect...to me...'
Peace.

1 comment:

tjmier said...

Drew-
Though it has been years since that last time I visited with you. I still keep in touch through FB with mom. First congratulations on being a Weirtz Worrier! You are a valued member. And second, you and your mom, are an inspiration to me. I see your accomplishments and I am very proud of you. You are a fighter, to me you seem to just keep trying, this quality is something that so many people need to learn, and you have it!
I thank you and your mom for sharing your life with me and others, as I feel that my life has improved because I see just how hard I can keep working and never give up, like you. You two are a blessing, keep smiling (you have the best smile) and I will keep following you and your mom.

Thought for the Day

It isn't how you walk in life, but how you walk through life that matters.