'Be who you are and say what you feel because, those who mind don't matter and, those who matter don't mind.' ~Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

See, what had happened was...

It has been WAY TOO LONG since I posted in Drew Rocks!.  So much has happened in the past months. Forgotten passwords, Challenger Baseball, Last Comic Standing and American Ninja Warrior on TV, and  Facebook and Messenger making it so easy to instantly communicate with people, I have neglected my passion to blog about Drew.  The reason I started this blog was to let the world know how cool, fun, incredible, amazing, sassy, silly and kick-ass my son is.  Here is an update:

The stem cell trial went really well, and Drew is able to sit unassisted (with assistance getting into position), he can hold developmental positions he couldn't before (pre-cursors to natural movement patterns inherent to normally developing kiddos), is quicker to process things and respond and answer in his yes/no manner, and continues to rock our world. 

He still pretends that he has no idea what is expected of him if he isn't 'feeling' it, will crab till he gets his way, and won't eat unless what he wants to watch is on TV.  For example:  Recently, he was crabbing cuz he wanted to leave a place we were at.  I told him 'stop whining for 30 seconds and we will leave'.  Cuz I will be damned if I am gonna cave to my 13 yr old.  Okay, it happens a lot, but not that day. :)

So, I made him wait more than a minute (he has no concept of time) and every time he crabbed I made us start over.  He figured that out pretty quickly and was as quiet as a mouse after 2 times of starting over.  We left, and I felt victorious!  Even though, looking back, he really made out in the deal since I didn't want to leave in the first place.  Ah, well, we pick our battles.

We have been in a really good groove lately.  The Universe is cooperating and we are blessed to be surrounded by amazing family and friends.   Last Saturday was L.O. Palooza, a fundraiser to build a wheelchair accessible park that my friends Kristi and Maggie envisioned.  Our kids are all in chairs, and going to the park usually results in moms and these kids watching others' play on the play scape.  If we raise enough cash, kids like ours can swing on wheelchair platform swings so they can be safely swing with their peers.  Everyone deserves the chance to enjoy a playground.  I told Drew the morning of the Fundraiser ' I wish we had a playground like this for you years ago '. He just smiled his million dollar smile,  as if to say 'but now some kids will'. 

Our kids are so much greater than anyone knows.  Like my boy Logan who, upon seeing my brother extend his hand to shake his Dad's hand when he was introduced to him, put his own hand out there to shake.  Like Maddie, who, every time she sees me, points to Drew like 'there he is! He is yours'! (Drew and Maddie have an arranged marriage so I get her forever. )  Like Nick, who greets me every morning I get Drew on the bus with an exuberant "HI" . Not yesterday though...he dropped the F bomb, he must have been having a bad day.  Like Hailey, who typed out on her Augmentative Communication device ' He is cute' when she found out they were coming to visit.  Like Michael, with his billion megawatt smile that rocks my world.  Like Melissa, who giggles with excitement when she sees us at baseball. Like Addie, who we get to meet next month but feel like we already know her spirit.   Like all of Drew's friends that I am missing here and the pure joy and acceptance they exude all day.  They lighten my heart and give me hope that there is certainly good in the world.  So many of our friends are struggling with so much every day, things that would defeat those less hard-headed and stubborn than we are. We share our strength and thank God for the Warrior Moms and Dads, and Warrior kiddos that keep fighting, despite every.single. obstacle.  There is strength in numbers. Life is ridiculous...I would rather laugh than cry and you make it possible for me to do that.



 


1 comment:

kathy lange said...

Mo, that was so beautiful ...... Drew is blessed to have you and Chris and you have been blessed with him.

Thought for the Day

It isn't how you walk in life, but how you walk through life that matters.